If you missed the Incoming Freshman Parent Presentation, you can view it at this link:
At the last booster meeting, parents had several questions about Disney -- which we were able to answer by pooling the knowledge of our director, chaperones and experienced parents. Please keep in mind that this trip is not organized by the boosters -- we can share info, but the official itinerary, permission slip and information letter will come from Mr. Arnott. If you still have questions after reading through this email and receiving the details from Mr. Arnott, please let me know you want to chat more about Disney. We can try to answer questions via email and cover remaining questions at the next booster meeting on March 4th. I hope this info is helpful.
Here is a basic itinerary from past trips -- Mr. Arnott is going to send a detailed one out, but this might give you some basic info:
3/9 - depart CHS on charter buses (last trip was around noon, but time will vary)
3/10 - arrive Orlando in time for dinner and to check in hotel (last trip dinner was at Disney Springs and they got to walk around there for a bit before checking into the hotel -- not sure if that will be the same this trip)
3/11 - first day at Disney
3/12 - second day - march at Disney in the 6:30pm parade
3/13 - check out of hotel and head to Disney for last day
3/13 - depart Disney when park closes
3/14 - arrive CHS late evening (or early morning hours of 3/15)
Notes from our meeting:
- Kids sign up to ride the bus with their friends
- Kids sign up to stay in rooms with their friends (4 kids to a room)
- Hotel in the past has been the Rosen Inn
- Hotel has security and gates, plus two additional security guards are hired to watch just our kids rooms (two corridors) during our stay
- Each chaperone is responsible for 8-12 kids
- Kids have bed check nightly, plus multiple check in times at the parks
- Kids have to stay in groups of 3 or larger at the parks
- If kids fail to meet a check in or are found without a group, they get to hang with the chaperones for a bit and until a group comes to rescue them
- Kids have park hopper passes, so they can wander between the parks, but will have check in times at each park
- Kids will be responsible for getting to the specified location for parade call time, where they will get dressed in uniforms for the parade
- On the last day at the parks, 3/13, the kids will pack their bags and check out of the hotel, loading their bags under the bus.
- At the end of the last day at the parks, 3/13, the kids will leave the park and go to the transportation center, where they will board the bus to head home.
- If you want to spend time with your kid at Disney during their stay, you can sign them out by sending a written notice to Mr Arnott that you plan to sign your child out at on X day at X time and indicate if/when they will be returning. You will be expected to deliver them to a chaperone when time with your family has ended.
- If you are checking your kid out on the last day, you can either pick up their bags at the hotel before they check out or meet at the transportation center and pull it off the bus before it leaves (kid will need to remember to put their luggage on the bus last so that it can be pulled off easily).
- Tools to make the trip smoother include ordering a magic band online (which they can load their ticket to), putting cash on a Disney card (available at HEB) and downloading the Disney app (on which they can manage their fast passes, check their card balances, etc). Please note that the magic bands are optional and just a preference - the ticket will work just was well.
- Keep in mind that kids are responsible for all meals -- on bus rides and at the parks. Please plan on $50 per day minimum of food/drink expenses at the parks ($150), plus $ for the bus rides (my child had a budget of $200 for the last trip).
From Mr. Arnott...
As I warned you about at the beginning of the season, there might have to be some adjustments to our rehearsal schedule if conflicts arise. Such a conflict has come up. The PSAT review sessions are this Wednesday starting at 8:10 am and next Wednesday and Thursday starting at the same time. We have a large number of Sophomores and Juniors that are taking the PSAT and would like to attend those review sessions. We are moving this Wednesday morning’s rehearsal to Wednesday afternoon from 4:15-5:15. Next week is already a short week. Kids have off on Monday but we do have a Homecoming Parade Monday night that is required. We are moving that Wednesday morning practice to Monday afternoon from 3:30-4:30. We’ll prepare for the parade following rehearsal. Thursday morning’s rehearsal will be moved to Friday morning from 7:30 am-8:30 am
Those changes are again:
Wednesday, Oct. 5 no morning rehearsal Full Band 4:15 pm-5:15 pm
Monday, Oct. 10 Full Band 3:30-4:30 pm Get ready for Homecoming Parade right after rehearsal
Wednesday, Oct 12 No morning rehearsal (remember we already have after school rehearsal scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 12 from 4:15-6:15)
Thursday, Oct 13 No morning rehearsal (remember we already have after school rehearsal scheduled for Thursday, Oct 13 from 4:15-6:15)
Friday, Oct 14 Full Band 7:30 am-8:30 am
Report times for Saturday:
12:30 pm Report to CHS Band Hall
1:00 Depart for Heroes Stadium
2:00 Arrive Heroes Stadium
3:15 Line up for warm up entry
Approx. 6:45 Depart for Boerne
8:00 Arrive CHS
Dress for the contest is full uniform. After we perform, we will go back to the buses and change out of our uniforms. You will need to wear either your Band polo or your Band tour shirt (current year) after our performance-no exceptions! You don’t necessarily have to wear khaki pants but you do have to wear the polo or tour shirt. After we get changed out of uniform, we will go back into the stadium to watch the remainder of the competition. We should be able to watch Lee, Del Rio, Steele, and Smithson Valley-maybe MacArthur and San Marcos (depends on how slow you are). You might want to bring money to eat at the concession stand. They normally have burgers and such. We will leave as soon as the awards are over. Attached is a copy of the schedule for the contest.
Due to unexpected issues with the hosting company for the Champion Band Booster web site, we were left with no alternative other than standing up a new web site. Welcome to the new Champion Band Booster web site!
We will be adding to the content over the next couple of weeks to try and get it close to the functionality of the previous site. While we will have to make some concessions, we believe that we can get pretty close. If you have any questions, or suggestions, please email Will at President@chargerbandboosters.com.